Monday, December 19, 2011

Green Tea Liqueur

 I tried a new liqueur I found called Zen. It's a matcha green tea liqueur that's 20% alc/vol.
I poured a bit in a cup to take a tast of the liqueur on it's own. The scent is simmular to vodka but a little more sweet.
The flavor was much more sweet then I expected. I could tast a hint of matcha but honestly the sweetness really over powered the green tea flavor. It was to sweet for my tast though I'm not one for sweetened drinks. If you enjoy really sweet liqueur then I would suggest the zen.
On the back of the bottle there is a recipe that calles for green or black tea. I steeped some sencha tea and mixed about 4 parts green tea to 1 part zen liqueur.


The bottle said to add iced green tea but I enjoyed it warm. I liked Zen a lot more once it was diluted down and with an actual green tea flavor. It would probably be pretty good with matcha which would help bring out the matcha in the actual alcohol.

Over all I enjoyed it mixed with green tea but found it to sweet on it's own. It's a bit pricy running at around $30 per bottle. I don't think I will probably buy it again unless it goes down to the teen price range.

No comments:

Post a Comment